Mastering the Art of Interviews with Effective Techniques
Giving interviews to get your desired job is not an easy feat. One needs some skills and tips to follow to succeed in the job interviews. Well, whether you are a fresher or you are highly experienced, you would end up using some smart and really useful Interview techniques to get the interview cracked. So, irrespective of the stage you are into right now, you can definitely follow the following points and keep going ahead in your career by clearing some of the tough as well as easy interviews.
So, let’s get started!
But before diving right into learning some of the best interview techniques, let us first see what actually is the definition of techniques used in interviews.
Define Interview Techniques
Interviewing techniques are strong and result-oriented practices which can help in convincing the hiring managers with the fact that you are potentially the best candidate for the job in question.
It however, will also depend on the stage you are into and the type of interview you have to appear for. There are various techniques that can help you in improving the chances of getting hired.
So, it is really important for you to know different interview techniques so that you are able to use them at the right stage and at the right time. Such techniques can showcase the recruiter that you are absolutely and genuinely interested in the job. Also, you will be able to display a lot of professionalism and can also show that you have prepared well for the interview ahead in time.
Different Types Of Interview Techniques
The Interview techniques will vary as per the types of interview. Here are some of the different types of interviews and the various techniques that you can use for each of them. Let’s see.
Traditional In-Person Interview
In this type of interview type, both the interviewer and the job seeker meet face-to-face. Traditionally, the interviewer first studies the interviewee’s resume and asks them some questions. These interviews can either be generic or can also be technical, completely depends on the role. Here are the techniques that if you use can assist you in making a great impression during a face-to-face interview:
- Dress smartly. You will look more professional.
- Greet the interviewer with a smile on your face and give a firm handshake.
- Be mindful of your body language because it can play an important role especially during your face-to-face meetings.
- Keep up the eye contact and abstain from making unwanted hand movements such as fidgeting or just moving fingers to play with the pen.
- Stay energetic and proactive while you you’re your interview.
- Wait till the interviewer asks you to sit and offers you seat.
In such interviews, the employer conducts the first round of interview on phone itself. It is the first round, also called as a screening round where they might identify whether the candidate can meet the company’s expectations or not before moving ahead with the next rounds.
In this round, the employer may discuss about your qualifications, your experiences and will also understand your salary expectations. Here are some techniques that you can follow for the telephonic interviews:
- Practice a brief introduction about yourself.
- Give clarity on your salary expectations from the company.
- Beforehand conduct thorough research about the company and make your own notes .
Video interviews have become trendier especially after the covid happened. Now the culture of work from home has also appreciated and pushed for more of videos interviews than one-on-one interviews. Now-a-days, G-meet happens and over the video conferencing, the interviews are conducted.
Such video interviews mostly happen live and are a part of complete job application process.
Here are some of the tips that you must follow while giving the job interviews.
- Dress professionally and smartly.
- Choose a place which has a neutral background and make sure the lighting is also good.
- Test your video conferencing software before the interview starts because if it stuck during the interview, it will give a wrong impression and you might lose the chance of succeeding in the job interview. So, all you have to do is check whether everything is fine before starting with the interview call.
- Make sure you take the call from a location where there are no distractions.
- Also, ensure that your phone is on silent so that no one calls you at the time of interview.
In such interviews, the employer interviews so many candidates at a same time. But the candidates are mostly those who have applied for the same position. So, group interview calls also happen. During such interviews, there may be one interviewer or there may be multiple interviewers evaluating the candidates. Such interviews are common when employers might be hiring a group of candidates. The group interviews often comprise of activities such as group discussions, role-playing etc. Such interview types are used to test how the candidate performs in a major group setting. Here are some of the tips to do well in the group interviews:
- Introduce yourself to everyone present in the panel.
- If the group is small in size, try to remember the names of all the members in a group.
- Also, refer to them by using their names while you are conducting your group activities.
The panel interviews are those in which several interviewers interview a single candidate. It takes place in the form of a meeting. Instead of having multiple rounds of interviews, in the panel interviews, the hiring manager evaluates the candidate from different perspectives just at once. Here are the tips that you must keep in mind while conducting the panel interviews.
- Appear energetic and really confident.
- Focus your attention on the person you are talking to and answer all their queries.
- Try to memorise their names as well and also address them in a polite manner.
So, these were some of tips as well as types of interviews that one might appear for and use the interview techniques as and when required.